It all started in September 1989.
As the reluctant elected president of the English Club of the then Divine Word College now Holy Name University of Tagbilaran City, Bohol, I was expected to be taking over the emceeing duties of some campus events every now and then
During the week- long English Days celebration, I was given the dreaded task of emceeing the Opening Program as requested nay insisted by our dear Dr. Ester P. Sajulan, then the English Department Chairperson
I was truly petrified with the whole experience for it was to be my very FIRST emceeing stint.
I remember that it was my beloved mentor Prof. Rose Rara- Sarabosing who stayed with me near the podium and who kept feeding me the lines to say and what not to say. I survived that ordeal. The next few hosting jobs assigned to me were now lapped up with gusto. Of course, there were lapses and some obvious faux pas that were greeted with sneers and jeers.
Looking back, I feel grateful and very lucky indeed to have been given the chance to make mistakes in front of peers and mentors while trying to fine tune my public speaking skills
Years of hosting experiences haven't totally changed the real me. Underneath the seeming cockiness and self- assuredness is a bashful and timid person who is not comfortable with crowds.
The evolution to be the best that I could be is a lifelong process and right now, my greatest and fondest wish is to be given the chance to share whatever lessons I have learned about hosting to the next generation of upstarts who will soon take over
Almost a quarter of a century and we're still at it
Thank you God for the gift
ELUSIVE ELOQUENCE EXPERTISE
Surpassing the twenty year mark in emceeing hasn't actually given me the monopoly in terms of expertise and charisma. Far from it. On the contrary, it has added pressure to be constantly on my toes and to always be in control. And believe me, there is truth in the saying that you cannot please everyone. I have even been publicly ridiculed, lambasted and humiliated which I deserve especially when I didn't fulfill my end of the bargain
We constantly try to improvise, to improve and to impress. Running out of words, grammatical lapses, occasional boos and even slipping onstage are just some of the hazards of the trade that emcees, me included, have encountered
Being constantly in the limelight has also brought with it the usual intrigues and speculations that people sometimes unfairly attach to your persona
Being unfairly pitted against other emcees, one has to be gracious and tactful to ensure civility and harmony. In the process of trying to hone my craft, I tend to watch and observe the more established and successful emcees in action.
Some of the select few that I look up to for being blessed with the gift of gab include the two very talented Araneta ladies; the iconic Ardie Batoy and the effervescent Glo Araneta
Aside from beauty pageant emceeing and organizing, I also dabble in a plethora of event organizing such as weddings, debuts, product launching, fashion shows, concerts, special events and anniversaries
Some of the most memorable events that I have organized include the following:
· The Golden Anniversary of the Bohol Chronicle, May 2004, held at the MetroCentre Hotel emceeing the Golden Anniversary of DYRD with Ma'am Ardie Batoy, Nov 30, 2011, MetroCentre Hotel, Tagbilaran City
· The Federation of International Cable TV Associations of the Philippines (FICAP) National Convention, May 2004, Bohol Tropics Resort
· The 2002 Miss Earth Pre- Pageant in Bohol in cooperation w/ Carousel Productions & ABS CBN, October 2002, Bohol Tropics Resort
· The 2005 Miss Earth Visit to Bohol & Preliminary Talent Competition, October 12- 14 2005, MetroCentre Hotel
I have emceed also the following events:
· 2000 SmithKline Beecham National Conference Fellowship Night with GMA 7 host Lyn Ching, Hotel InterContinental
· 2001 Philippine Pharmacists Association National Conference Fellowship Night, Bohol Tropics
· FICAP National Convention Plenary Session & Fellowship Night, May 2004
· Association of Municipal Health Officers of the Philippines (AMHOP) National Convention, MetroCentre Hotel, May 2008
· 2009 Sony Ericsson Dealers' National Conference Awards Night w/ Sarah Geronimo, Peacock Garden Resort
· 2010 Rotary Club of Tagbilaran Induction of Officers, July 2010, Bohol Tropics
· Ruby Anniversary of Rotary Club of Tagbilaran, July 2011, MetroCentre Hotel
· Golden Anniversary & Awards Night of DYRD 1161 AM, October 30 2011, MetroCentre Hotel
· 2011 Beauche Visayas & Mindanao Area Sales Conference, Cebu City, December 3, 2011
· 2011 Beauche National Sales Conference & Christmas Party, Manila Hotel, December 22, 2011
· 2013 Beauche National Sales Conference, Solaire Resort, December 14, 2013